- Completed project
Creating value from a blue economy
We studied initiatives to create economic value from sustainable marine activities that are based on healthy ecosystems. We used the findings to map and model a blue economy.
|Nick Lewis (University of Auckland)||April 2016 – September 2019||$1,135,000|
In recent years, advocates for sustainable oceans have focused attention on building a sustainable ‘blue economy’, where innovative practices that promote and sustain diverse industries are based on healthy marine ecosystems.
We studied Aotearoa New Zealand-based initiatives to create economic value from sustainable marine practices and activities. We considered five broad and overlapping marine sub-economies (iwi, techno-science, commodity, community, and small business), and investigated connections between them.
Our research focused on:
- Defining what a blue economy means for Aotearoa New Zealand and working with economic enterprises and agencies to ensure that its opportunities are recognised and realised
- Ensuring that blue economy considerations are incorporated into models of ecosystem-based management
- Identifying sites and possibilities for transitions to a blue economy
- Identifying and supporting regional development initiatives to foster regional blue economies and develop their potential
- Highlighting specific enterprise-level production and investment practices that are helping to bring about a blue economy.
We found several activities are helping Aotearoa New Zealand transition to a blue economy. These include:
- Investor commitments to sustainable futures (Seafood New Zealand’s ‘Our Promise’ campaign), consumer-oriented and community education programmes;
- the emergence of Māori enterprises with long term and kaitiakitanga approaches to blue economy;
- blue economy champions (individuals and organisations) who support participatory resource management processes;
- and a host of practices from precision seafood harvesting to harvesting of seaweed.
Blue Economy theme: co-development and funding update - 05 December 2019
Identifying 'blue economy' opportunities - 24 September 2019
Welcome to our new project leaders - 18 July 2019
Request for proposals: Tangaroa research project - 12 June 2017
This is a national project.