- Academic publication
Translating ecological integrity terms into operational language to inform societies
de Juan S, Hewitt J, Subida MD and Thrush S (2018)
Journal of Environmental Management, 228: 319-327
- Ecological Integrity reflects the threat of ecosystem change to social welfare.
- We propose a bottom-up process with observation, expert judgement and outreach.
- The process starts when in situ observation suggests “something is wrong”.
- The outcome is a multi-metric index related with EI, or the risk of losing EI.
- Three case studies illustrate the approach in real-world scenarios.
DPSIR, Ecosystem health, Ecological indicators, Socio-ecological systems, Environmental assessment