Māori marine economy: a literature review
The research team examined more than 150 articles and reports to investigate the historical and contemporary structure of the Māori marine economy.
They distilled 5 key factors that will drive growth of the Māori marine economy:
- The continued development of Māori customary rights
- Integration of hapū and whanau into iwi and pan iwi economic activity
- An integrated value chain where as many elements as possible are owned by Māori
- Branding and marketing that is inspired by hapū and iwi stories, symbols and designs which communicate their whakapapa and connection to tipuna and whenua
- That provenance and authentication and traceability are communicated to the consumer in a way that is grounded in tikanga Māori