- Academic publication
Giant kelp forests at critical light thresholds show compromised ecological resilience to environmental and biological drivers
Tait LW (2019)
Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 219:231-241
- Kelp forests have been impacted worldwide but with few generalities between cases.
- Light defines photoautotroph distribution, but thresholds are poorly defined.
- Here I explore the impacts of gradients of suspended sediments on kelp bed ecology.
- Identified thresholds of light caused a shift in a range of ecological metrics.
- Kelps and fucoids responded to similar thresholds but through different mechanisms.
Kelp forest, Sedimentation, Land-use change, Threshold, Turbidity, Biodiversity, Urchins, Macrocystis pyrifera