Describing a Bayesian network tool for Tasman and Golden Bays scallop management
This conference presentation (given 2019) describes a Baysian network decision support tool, developed and validated using expert knowledge, for Tasman Bay and Golden Bay scallop management strategy evaluation (MSE).
This scallop MSE uses a 'structured decision making' framework approach to ecosystem-based management (EBM).
The presentation covers:
- Contextual background to the Tasman Bay and Golden Bay (TBGB) scallop management issues investigated
- Brief outline of the structured decision making (SDM) framework approach as applied in our case study
- Description of the Byasian network tool used in our study and the role that expert elicitation played in its development and validation.
- How application of our Baysian network model with a SDM framework allows stakeholders and managers to make informed management decisions.
- The Baysian network model presented is not currently being used in TBGB scallop management decision making.
- However, the management objectives in our MSE framework were developed in consultation with TBGB scallop stakeholders and managers.